Tuesday 4 January 2011

CAPTAINS CHAIR.



First commission of the year to be started, have been asked to make a pair of simple tractor seat\bar stools nothing to special, nice base, up and down, spin around -been done many times before. Anyhow got my hands on 4 vintage tractor seats job lot, what do do with the other 2?

First day in studio after chrimbo, sorting bits out, cleaning, started to play with the 2 bases for the lovely couple who need stools for a breakfast bar. Decided I needed to wait for some more instructions on the bases, crankshafts, or vintage rear half shafts and flywheels.

That's when I got carried away with this, not sure what to call it, the shocking electric chair, Giger alien captain's seat or demented amateur tattooist of east London's super comfortable labotimser safety seat. Dunno I am sure it will come to me? any ideas?

Have played with many solutions for arm rests, foot rests but ended up here, toying with the idea to brass plate or chrome the seat pan and controls? it features a minimal magnetic head rest so any size person can use it. It needs some more work but is very heavy and despite looks very comfortable to sit on.



Am going to make a second version with vintage sewing machine treadle parts and more cast iron [less futuristic] It could be made to be fully adjustable. Both will be for sale unless I can persuade my girlfriend to let me put them in the front of the van. I need to have a part made up for me [nice one Phig Linton Engineering] and the plating I will then put them on my web.


Early stages.

No comments:

Post a Comment